Sunday, May 27, 2012

Setting up at the Reeeeeally Big Show was Interesting...


So, as we entered the Javits Center in Midtown New York, I was feeling pretty confident that this was going to be not that big of a deal. 
Here was the first things we saw



So we started, turned out the booth got beat up pretty bad in the shipping, and we should have used chipboard in between instead of cardboard cause it stuck really bad. Good thing we brought touch up paint and brushes. Nikki and I were there before most people (thank god) cause in order to put that monster up we needed the space on all sides. Turns out, that was great. 


So, set up at home was seamless, set up in NY was a bitch. Sucked with only two people but we got it up there and just could not get the last few screws in, thanks to GLEN, who worked for UPC, he drilled us some new holes and we got it together. 
The next horrifying headache was the pergo flooring, I'll never ever ever use that crap again in my life. I guess you do get what you pay for. Granted we did not really know what we were doing but it kept popping up and finally I gave Nikki the go ahead to tape that shit down. Then we laid the rug and taped that down as well. Who is going to look at the floor anyways right?
Next day we came back to set up all the easy stuff, it was fun and went really well. We were way ahead of the game  compared to our neighbors. Next year we will come in early again, just takes away some of the stress. 

We had the great idea (Derek) to use stainless steel sheets and magnets, which we got  a lot of compliments on. 
Then to really try to get the "old school" across, I had some awesome pictures printed out on this really durable vinyl paperish stuff at Copies Plus in St. Cloud (Thanks Alli!!!) and of course the pictures were beautiful, taken by professional picture taker Damien Husen. We also got a lot of compliments on that. 

Also, having the order forms right there for east access was freakin brilliant. Some of those buyers came in and would turn to us and say "let's go" and we would jump into action!

Also, the table set up and placement was brilliant (again Derek), it was a great place for us to stand and greet passers by and people really responded to the posters and the magazine article, they loved it! I also put up the prints since most people had nothing like my stuff, it just pulled me even further away from the crowd.

It was SOO COOOOOL for people to ask why they had not seen me before, that buyers and other exhibitors were surprised to hear that it was my first year at the NYSS. That is HUUUUGE!
I was so proud of the booth, of the best travel partner ever, NIKKI, and of my product, that did not look like anybody else's stuff. It was truely incredible!

No comments:

Post a Comment